What is a share certificate?
A share certificate is proof of ownership of a share, or shares, in a company. It details key information including:
- the name and address of the shareholder
- the number of shares held by the shareholder
- details of the company issuing the shares
- the type of shares (e.g. Ordinary)
- the share price
- date of issue of the shares, and
- a unique share certificate number.
A company must issue share certificates for its shareholders within two months of the company formation or the date of a new share issue or transfer.
Share certificates give proof that the person or business named on the share certificate is a member of the company and holds the shares as stated. It also provides a defence against a shareholder's name being mistakenly or fraudulently removed from the register of members.
Need a share certificate for your limited company? Download our FREE template and use it to generate as many share certificates as your company needs.